This post is all about motivational solo quotes.
A few months ago, I finally made the daring decision to travel solo for my very first time. Where, you ask? Paris, France. And it was one of the best things I have ever done.
I had never been to Paris or France before, but something has always really attracted me to the City of Light. So, I asked my remote job at the time if they wouldn’t mind if I worked abroad for a week.
When they said “sure”, I booked my flight before I could convince myself otherwise!
My trip was so magical, in fact, that even when I got laid off from my job while I was over there, I still had an amazing time. Nothing could bring me down 🙂
I got to try new foods, meet new people, experience what it feels like to be truly alone somewhere, and go wherever I wanted. It was invigorating, empowering, and lovely. And if you’re reading this, I 100% think you should travel solo someday, too.
View this post on Instagram
That’s why I wrote this post. This post is full of motivational solo travel quotes to encourage you to solo travel!
75 Motivational Solo Quotes
1. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neale Donald Walsch
It can be so nerve-wracking to travel solo for the first time, but that’s where the magic lies! Try it for yourself and you will see.
2. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
When you solo travel, you challenge yourself and you go on an adventure. If you only ever stay in the same spot without challenging yourself, you’ll never know what you are missing.
3. “You must go on adventures to find out where you truly belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
Solo traveling is also a great way to discover what you truly like and dislike. There may be an activity or a food or a person out there that you’ll never get the chance to experience/meet if you don’t travel.
4. “Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.” – Anthony Bourdain
When you travel solo, you’re by yourself and you don’t really know what you’re getting yourself into. But that’s what’s so exhilarating about it! You just have to be smart and safe : )
5. “Travel is never a matter of money, but of courage.” – Paulo Coelho
6. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” – Mark Twain
Travel makes you more open-minded, accepting of others, and therefore, more accepting of yourself.
7. “I am alarmed when it happens that I have walked a mile into the woods bodily, without getting there in spirit.”
You know when you’re driving and all of a sudden you realize that you zoned out for the last two minutes but you were still able to drive? It’s a little freaky and unsettling, and that’s what this quote is about. When you travel solo, though, you won’t have moments like that. Because you are alone, you’ll find yourself to be hyper-present and aware of all the newness and beauty around you.
8. “With age, comes wisdom. With travel, comes understanding.” – Sandra Lake
Travel opens your eyes to the different kinds of people of the world.
9. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
It’s true. The second you see people conversing in different languages, eating foods that you’ve never seen before, and exploring places that have been around for thousands of years, you realize just how much is truly out there in the world.
10. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” – Anaïs Nin
Travelling allows you to see new places, meet new people, and connect with people that you never would’ve connected with had you not traveled.
11. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
It can be really scary to take the plunge and begin your solo travel journey. But if you don’t just go for it, you may never do it. Take the chance!
12. “We travel for romance, we travel for architecture, and we travel to be lost.” – Ray Bradbury
Sometimes you just want to get out of your ordinary routine and experience newness. That’s what travel can do for you.
13. “I think one travels more usefully when they travel alone, because they reflect more.” – Thomas Jefferson
When you travel alone, you have so much time to ponder life and reflect on what you’re experiencing in any given moment.
14. “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” – Henry David Thoreau
If you’ve been dreaming about traveling somewhere, it’s time to bring that dream to reality. This is your sign to go for it : )
15. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” – David Mitchell
The more you travel, the better you get to know yourself.
16. “Not I – Not anyone else, can travel that road for you, You must travel it for yourself.” – Walt Whitman
When it comes to travel, it’s not enough to live vicariously through someone who has been where you want to go. It’s time you take the plunge and go see everything for yourself!
17. “People say that you’re going the wrong way when it’s simply a way of your own.” – Angelina Jolie
No matter what people have to say about your solo travels, if solo traveling is what your heart desires, that is all that matters.
18. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” – Aldous Huxley
People are quick to judge things that they don’t know much about. But once you go to another country yourself, you can make your own judgments – and most of the time you will realize that what you heard about that country is often not the case.
19. “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
To regret traveling is so rare. Even bad experiences can make for great stories or lessons learned.
20. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark
The best feeling is waking up and realizing, “Oh yeah, I’m in a different country today!” – it’s such a wild and amazing feeling that you have to experience at least once.
21. “The inner journey of travel is intensified by solitude.” – Paul Theroux
If you are someone who likes personal growth and development, you will love traveling solo because you will get to spend time with yourself and really think about what you’re experiencing and what you want your life to look like.
22. “There are some places in life where you can only go alone. Embrace the beauty of your solo journey.” – Mandy Hale
If you want to solo travel somewhere, you probably know in your heart that you are meant to go there alone. Trust that feeling.
23. “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
If you are scared to travel solo, it may be the very thing that you need to do. Don’t let fear hold you back from living your life to the fullest.
24. “A person susceptible to ‘Wanderlust’ is not so much addicted to movement as committed to transformation.” – Pico Iyer
Solo travel truly is an incredible form of personal transformation and development.
25. “Human beings are more alike than unalike, and what is true anywhere is true everywhere, yet I encourage travel to as many destinations as possible for the sake of education as well as pleasure.” – Maya Angelou
Not only is travel so much fun, but you will also realize that even people from countries thousands and thousands of miles away are not that different from you.
26. “True power comes from standing in your own truth and walking your own path.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
If your heart is calling you to solo travel, it’s time for you do it, no matter what anyone else thinks.
27. “Travel makes you realize that no matter how much you know, there’s always more to learn.” – Nyssa P. Chopra
Your first solo trip (and every one after that!) will humble you. You will realize just how much of the world is out there that you’ve never experienced.
28. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it is lethal.” – Paulo Coelho
While routine can be beneficial, it keeps you in your comfort zone. Solo travel, on the other hand, will help you grow as a person and experience new things.
29. “Beautiful girl, take care of yourself. No-one else knows what your soul needs.” – Aston G
If you feel like your soul could really use some alone-time in a new place, and solo travel sounds like a great way to do that, follow what your soul is calling you to do!
30. “Loving life is easy when you are abroad. Where no one knows you and you hold your life in your hands all alone, you are more master of yourself than at any other time.” – Hannah Arendt
It is pretty amazing to be totally responsible for yourself when you are alone in a new place. It’s a feeling unlike any other!
31. “Great people do things before they’re ready. They do things before they know they can do it.” – Amy Dochler
If you wait until you are completely “ready” to solo travel, you might not ever do it. Go before you are ready. You can do this!
32. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
There is so much of the world that you will miss if you don’t travel.
33. “Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret.” – Oscar Wilde
You might lose your luggage. Miss your train. Lose electricity in your hotel. There are a lot of things that can go “wrong” when you solo travel, but the amount of things that go right will far outweigh them.
34. “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” – Mary Oliver
You only have this one life on earth, so how are you going to make the most of it?
35. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
It’s true. When you look back on your life, what do you remember most? Traveling solo is definitely one of those things that you would look back on and remember.
36. “I travel not to cross countries off a list, but to ignite passionate affairs with destinations.” – Jacqueline Boone
Falling in love with another country is an incredible feeling.
37. “Solo travel not only pushes you out of your comfort zone, it also pushes you out of the zone of others’ expectations.” – Suzy Strutner
What other people think of you doesn’t really matter, but if there is someone who doubts that you are independent or doubts that you are capable of doing something like solo traveling, why not prove to them that you can!
38. “Just try new things. Don’t be afraid. Step out of your comfort zones and soar, all right?” – Michelle Obama
Getting out of your comfort zone is always worth it.
39. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
If you pass up an opportunity to travel by yourself, do you think there’s a chance that you might regret it?
40. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” – Anita Desai
Whether you bring back stories, art, souvenirs, etc. the places that you visit will absolutely leave a mark on you in some way.
41. “Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.” – Unknown
You work hard, but you should also prioritize the things in your life that make you feel alive.
42. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” – Dalai Lama
Have you followed this advice this year? If not, maybe it’s time to start planning your next trip.
43. “Paris is always a good idea.” – Audrey Hepburn
I can attest to this one! Paris was a great place to travel solo as a woman. You can read my full itinerary here.
44. “I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Anne Radmacher
Travel changes you in the best way – it makes you fall in love with the world just a little bit more : )
45. “Traveling alone doesn’t always mean you’re alone. Most often, you meet marvelous people along the way and make connections that last a lifetime.” – Jacqueline Boone
You just never know who you will meet when you’re on your first solo trip!
46. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.” – Maya Angelou
Don’t let fear hold you back from living an incredible life.
47. “Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
If you travel and learn nothing from it, it’s not as beneficial (though, it’s pretty hard to travel and not have it leave a lasting impact on you!).
48. “Keep good company – that is, go to the Louvre.” – Paul Cezanne
The Louvre is a museum in Paris that contains the famed painting of the Mona Lisa. I highly recommend visiting The Louvre if you ever get to Paris.
49. “No one is alone in self isolation because the entire world is there with you.” – Ken Poirot
Even when you feel alone while solo traveling, there are people all around you, and your family and friends are just a phone call away.
50. “Life is too short and the world is too wide. The sooner you start exploring it, the better.” – Simon Raven
You only have so much time to explore the world. Better start now!
51. “One of the great things about travel is that you find out how many good, kind people there are.” – Edith Wharton
There are so many kind and friendly people in the world. Travel will help you realize this if you don’t believe it already.
52. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
Travel gives you perspective that staying in the same place can’t.
53. “When the traveler goes alone he gets acquainted with himself.” – Liberty Hyde Bailey
If you want to get to know yourself better or spend time with yourself, travel solo.
54. “Let your conscience be your guide.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
If you desire to solo travel, you gotta make it happen.
55. “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
If you want to go somewhere new and not have any plans, you can do that. If you want to have a full itinerary, you can do that, too. Traveling solo means you can do whatever you want, whenever you want.
56. “Stand often in the company of dreamers: they tickle your common sense & believe you can achieve things which are impossible.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
If you want to learn more about solo travel before you go, start networking with other solo travelers. They will give you their best tips, encourage you, and give you confidence!
57. “I am never happier than when I am alone in a foreign city; it is as if I had become invisible.” – Storm Jameson
If you want to disappear in the background and people watch, being alone in a foreign city is the best way to do that.
58. “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
At any moment, you can decide to do things differently. Maybe a past version of you wouldn’t have the courage to solo travel, but what about now?
59. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Unknown
Travel will make you richer in experiences, stories, memories, laughter, wonder, awe… the list goes on.
60. “Jobs fill your pockets, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jaime Lyn
Using your hard-earned cash to fund a solo trip will be one of the best investments in yourself that you ever make.
61. “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.” – John Mayer
When you travel alone, you might realize how much you love it and want to do it more often. And you won’t be alone! There are plenty of people who feel the same way.
62. “If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.” – Thomas Alva Edison
Don’t let your self-doubt or fear hold you back from doing things that you are truly capable of doing.
63. “This is the journey of your life. Don’t try to explain it to others, because only you can see it.” – Nitin Namdeo
If you decide to travel solo, you don’t have to explain yourself to anyone. If solo traveling is something you want to do, that is reason enough.
64. “Step out of the history that is holding you back. Step into the new story you are willing to create.” – Oprah Winfrey
Maybe “old you” wouldn’t travel solo. But nowadays, you’re beginning to write a new story that involves being courageous, taking chances, and getting out of your comfort zone with travel.
65. “Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.” – Jennifer Lee
If the thought of traveling solo lights you up, you have got to go for it!
66. “Learn to value yourself, which means: fight for your happiness.” – Ayn Rand
When you start talking to your friends and family about solo traveling, they may express their concerns and worries. But you have to decide if you’re going to agree with them and stay at home, or take a chance and do what is really going to make you happy.
67. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
When you travel, you will experience so many amazing things and then go home and tell your friends and family all about them.
68. “I experienced the exhilaration of the ups and the despairs of the lows and most of the feelings in between… I learned courage and I learned it myself.” – Ann Stirk
You may not have a lot of confidence when you first start your solo travel trip, but by the end, you will definitely feel proud and capable.
69. “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence.” – Albert Einstein
If you’re curious about other countries, people, and cultures, you will love the new experiences and learnings that you will get from solo traveling.
70. “Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” – Miriam Beard
Solo traveling will be emotional in so many ways. You will overcome fear, doubt, worry, etc. and it is so worth it.
71. “Traveling alone will be the scariest, most liberating, life changing experience of your life. Try it at least once.” – Unknown
To be a little scared before (or even during) your first solo trip is normal. Know that you are not the first person who ever decided to solo travel before they felt ready.
72. “The man who goes alone can start today, but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.’” = Henry David Thoreau
The beauty of solo travel is that you can do things on your own time. You can get up, sight-see, eat, sleep, etc. all on your own time. Having this freedom is an amazing perk of traveling alone.
73. “Never let your memories be greater than your dreams.” – Douglas Ivester
If there’s a trip from your past that you look back on fondly, but you don’t have any travel plans for the future, it’s time to make some!
74. “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
You will never regret a trip that teaches you and allows you to see new things.
75. “There’s no right or wrong way to travel solo…everyone should try it at least once in their life.” – Susan Moore
You can do whatever you want and go wherever you want when you solo travel (as long as you do it safely!). So, what are you waiting for?
How do you feel about solo traveling now? Are you encouraged to take the leap? Do you have more confidence? I hope so! Let me know where you plan to solo travel in the comments below : )
This post was all about motivational solo quotes.