This page may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
This post is all about 53 David Goggins Can’t Hurt Me Quotes.
David Goggins is intense. If you are looking for motivation, and you get pumped up by someone being real and direct with you, then David Goggins is your guy.
Human beings across the world are enamored by David Goggins. With David Goggins, there is no life hack or short cuts.
If you want to be your best self, you have to put in the work.
Who is David Goggins?
According to Lioncrest.com, the publishing company of David Goggins’ first and New York Times bestselling book Can’t Hurt Me, David Goggins “is a retired Navy SEAL and the only member of the U.S. Armed Forces ever to complete SEAL training, U.S. Army Ranger School, and Air Force Tactical Air Controller training.
Goggins has competed in more than sixty ultra-marathons, triathlons, and ultra-triathlons, setting new course records and regularly placing in the top five.”
Further, according to FitnessEquipped.com, David Goggins beat the world pull-up record at the time for completing “4,030 pull-ups in just 17 hours and 45 minutes” in 2013.
To say that David Goggins is impressive is an understatement.
Not only has he accomplished so much, but he also had a really abusive childhood and dealt with stuttering and being behind in school for most of his adolescence.
I think what makes David Goggins so inspiring is that not only does he compete at the highest level in everything that he does, proving to everyone that he is astonishingly mentally tough, but he came from such a rough upbringing, which he documents in his book Can’t Hurt Me.
David Goggins shows the world that you can be all that you want to be, no matter where you’ve come from or what you’ve been through.
“David Goggins is a being of pure will and inspiration. Just listening to this guy talk makes you want to run up a mountain.
I firmly believe people like him can change the course of the world just by inspiring us to push harder and dig deeper in everything we do.”
– Joe Rogan
How to be like David Goggins?
If you want to be like David Goggins, you have to “stay hard”. That’s what he preaches on his Instagram and throughout his life, anyway. It’s one of his most useful tools.
The idea of “staying hard” means to not give into your best excuses. It means to make a commitment to yourself, to be consistent, and to show up each and every single day for your goals.
As a former Navy Seal, David Goggins isn’t the kind of person who gives up. He’s also not the kind of person that is going to feel sorry for himself, or for others.
He inspires people everywhere because he is relentless. He wants to see just how capable he is and he wants to reach his highest potential. He never backs down to physical challenges and he does what he says he is going to do.
If you spend enough time practicing relentless self discipline and you consistently give your maximum effort, you can be like David Goggins.
What to read after David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me?
David Goggins first book, Can’t Hurt Me, was published in 2018. That book is where the following quotes come from.
You can buy David Goggins book Can’t Hurt Me on Amazon:
In 2022, David Goggins published his second book, Never Finished.
You can also buy David Goggins’ book Never Finished on Amazon:
Mental Toughness Quotes by David Goggins
The following mental toughness quotes by David Goggins will help you have a stronger mindset.
1. “The human body can withstand and accomplish a hell of a lot more than most of us think possible, and it all begins and ends in the mind.”
2. “No one is going to come help you. No one’s coming to save you.”
3. “Everything in life is a mind game!”
4. “Whenever we get swept under by life’s dramas, large and small, we are forgetting that no matter how bad the pain gets, no matter how harrowing the torture, all bad things end.”
5. “The Buddha famously said that life is suffering. I’m not a Buddhist, but I know what he meant and so do you. To exist in this world, we must contend with humiliation, broken dreams, sadness, and loss.”
6. “Most of us sweep our failures and evil secrets under the rug, but when we run into problems, that rug gets lifted up, and our darkness re-emerges, floods our soul, and influences the decisions which determine our character.”
7. “The vast majority of us are slaves to our minds. Most don’t even make the first effort when it comes to mastering their thought process because it’s a never-ending chore and impossible to get right every time.”
8. “When you think that you are done, you’re only 40% into what your body’s capable of doing. That’s just the limits that we put on ourselves.”
9. “I brainwashed myself into craving discomfort. If it was raining, I would go run. Whenever it started snowing, my mind would say, get your fxcking running shoes on.
Sometimes I wussed out and had to deal with it at the Accountability Mirror. But facing that mirror, facing myself, motivated me to fight through uncomfortable experiences, and, as a result, I became tougher.
And being tough and resilient helped me meet my goals.”
10. “From this point forward, accept the following as Goggins’ laws of nature: You will be made fun of. You will feel insecure. You may not be the best all the time.
You may be the only black, white, Asian, Latino, female, male, gay, lesbian or [fill in your identity here] in a given situation. There will be times when you feel alone. Get over it!”
11.”To develop an armored mind—a mindset so calloused and hard that it becomes bulletproof—you need to go to the source of all your fears and insecurities.”
12. “The reason it’s important to push hardest when you want to quit the most is because it helps you callous your mind.”
13. “If you want to be one of the few to defy those trends in our ever-softening society, you will have to be willing to go to war with yourself and create a whole new identity, which requires an open mind.”
14. “It’s a lot more than mind over matter. It takes relentless self-discipline to schedule suffering into your day, every day.”
Motivational Quotes by David Goggins
Looking for motivation? These David Goggins quotes will absolutely provide you with the motivation that you need.
15. “You are in danger of living a life so comfortable and soft, that you will die without ever realizing your true potential.”
16. “Most of us are motivated as hell to do anything to pursue our dreams until those around us remind us of the danger, the downside, our own limitations, and all the people before us that didn’t make it.”
17. “Analyze your schedule, kill your empty habits, burn out the bullshit, and see what’s left.”
18. “You are stopping you, you are giving up instead of getting hard.”
19. “I don’t stop when I’m tired. I stop when I’m done.”
20. “In the military we always say we don’t rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.”
21. “I was the sum total of the obstacles I’d overcome.”
22. “Be more than motivated, be more than driven, become literally obsessed to the point where people think you’re fxcking nuts.”
23. “You can be born in a fxcking sewer and still be the baddest motherfxcker on earth.”
24. “A true leader stays exhausted, abhors arrogance, and never looks down on the weakest link. He fights for his men and leads by example.
That’s what it meant to be uncommon among uncommon. It meant being one of the best and helping your men find their best too.”
25. “My work ethic is the single most important factor in all of my accomplishments.”
26. “There is no more time to waste. Hours and days evaporate like creeks in the desert. That’s why it’s okay to be cruel to yourself as long as you realize you’re doing it to become better.”
27. “It may be satisfactory, but that’s another word for mediocrity.”
28. “And if you fail again, so the fxck be it. Take the pain. Repeat these steps and keep fighting.”
29. “In life, there is no gift as overlooked or inevitable as failure.”
Self Improvement Quotes by David Goggins
If you want to improve the person that you are, David Goggins will help provide guidance for your personal growth journey.
30. “Denial is the ultimate comfort zone.”
31. “By the time I graduated, I knew that the confidence I’d managed to develop didn’t come from a perfect family or God-given talent.
It came from personal accountability which brought me self respect, and self-respect will always light a way forward.”
32. “We’re either getting better or we’re getting worse.”
33. “We don’t all have the same floor or ceiling, but we each have a lot more in us than we know, and when it comes to endurance sports like ultra running, everyone can achieve feats they once thought impossible.”
34. “The most important conversations you’ll ever have are the ones you’ll have with yourself.”
35. When you find yourself having frivolous conversations or becoming ensnared in activities that don’t better you in any way, move the fxck on!”
36. “We all need small sparks, small accomplishments in our lives to fuel the big ones.”
37. “I thought I’d solved a problem when really I was creating new ones by taking the path of least resistance.”
38. “Remember that you also need rest, so schedule that in.”
39. “It won’t always go your way, so you can’t get trapped in this idea that just because you’ve imagined a possibility for yourself you somehow deserve it.
40. “The only way we can change is to be real with ourselves.”
41. “Always be willing to embrace ignorance and become the dumb fxck in the classroom again, because that is the only way to expand your body of knowledge and body of work. It’s the only way to expand your mind.”
42. “Your entitled mind is dead weight. Cut it loose. Don’t focus on what you think you deserve. Take aim on what you are willing to earn!”
43. “If you want to master the mind and remove your governor, you’ll have to become addicted to hard work.”
44. “A lot of people think that once they reach a certain level of status, respect, or success, that they’ve made it in life. I’m here to tell you that you always have to find more.”
More David Goggins Quotes
Here are even more awesome David Goggins quotes from his book Can’t Hurt Me.
45. “Everyone fails sometimes and life isn’t supposed to be fair, much less bend to your every whim.”
46. “Life is one long motherfxcking imaginary game that has no scoreboard, no referee, and isn’t over until we’re dead and buried.”
47. “Greatness is not something that if you meet it once it stays with you forever. That shit evaporates like a flash of oil in a hot pan.”
48. “But it’s not the external voice that will break you down. It’s what you tell yourself that matters.”
49. “It’s about what we do with opportunities revoked or presented to us that determine how a story ends.”
50. “We are all fighting the same battle. All of us are torn between comfort and performance, between settling for mediocrity or being willing to suffer in order to become our best self, all the damn time.”
51. “Like the Taoists say, those that know don’t speak, and those who speak, well, they don’t know jack shit.”
52. “Everyone is on the hunt for that simple action algorithm that nets maximum profit with the least amount of effort. There’s no denying this attitude may get you some of the trappings of success, if you’re lucky, but it will not lead to a calloused mind or self-mastery.”
53. “We all need small sparks, small accomplishments in our lives to fuel the big ones. Think of your small accomplishments as kindling. When you want a bonfire, you don’t start by lighting a big log.
You collect some witch’s hair—a small pile of hay or some dry, dead grass. You light that and then add small sticks and bigger sticks before you feed your tree stump into the blaze.
Because it’s the small sparks, which start small fires, that eventually build enough heat to burn the whole fxcking forest down.”
Which of these were your favorite David Goggins Can’t Hurt Me quotes?
What’s your favorite quote from the list above? It’s easy to be fired up and motivated by David Goggins, at least it is for me anyway!
I highly recommend reading his book Can’t Hurt Me if these quotes spoke to you at all.
How can I learn more about David Goggins?
This post was all about David Goggins Can’t Hurt Me Quotes.
Other posts you might like:
- 80 Powerful Songs About Leadership
- 200+ Goals For The Week To Make Progress In Life
- 54 Inspiring Personal Growth Quotes That’ll Change Your Life
- 8 Best Books For Personal Development